The Prevention Unit provides alcohol, tobacco and other drugs (ATOD) programs to youth in Richmond Public Schools and community centers while engaging the community utilizing various strategies to increase knowledge and awareness about ATOD.
Some of our strategies include:
- Delivering evidence-based parenting and ATOD prevention programs to local schools and community organizations.
- Participating in community events (e.g., health fairs etc.).
- Disseminating prevention information through community forums and media ads.
- Building capacity for prevention services through the Friends of Prevention Coalition.
- Providing merchant education regarding underage alcohol use.
- Providing education about risk and protective factors.
Mental Health First Aid
Mental Health First Aid is an 8-hour course that teaches you how to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illnesses and substance use disorders. The training gives you the skills you need to reach out and provide initial help and support to someone who may be developing a mental health or substance use problem or experiencing a crisis.
Contact RBHA by email or by calling 804-819-4000 to learn more about Prevention Services.